Europa-List: Nav antenna - The Answer

Subject: Europa-List: Nav antenna - The Answer
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 15:35:44

Just in case anyone else gets confused by this question, I discover that
both my Comant nav antenna and a brand new certified one have a
resistance from core to sheath (or indeed measured simply between the
two metal limbs of the antenna) of just 0.4 ohms, quite distinct from
Com antennae which have very high resistance. It had struck me that a
short in the connectors or the coaxial cabling might be what is
troubling the nav bit of my GNC255 but it is not so - clearly the two
sections of the nav dipole are connected by some low resistance
structure.

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2017-10-22 18:39, Alan Burrill wrote:

> The are horizontal dipoles and should effectively be open circuit.
>
> Alan
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 22 Oct 2017, at 18:01, davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a nav antenna (of VOR/Glide slope/Loc variety) conveniently
to hand so that they could measure the resistance across the pin to sheath, or
maybe is clever enough to know what it should be? Am pursuing a glitch and find
that my nav antenna has a very low resistance unlike Com & Transistor antennae.