Europa-List: Re: Tail Plane Fitting

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Tail Plane Fitting
From: graemeh <graeme.hart@onecoolkat.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 03:12:50

My last update (quoted below) seems to have updated on the website but didn't
seem
to email out.  I will do this update via the website to see if that is more
reliable.

I've made further progress and now I have both tailplanes fitting quite well,
the
front pin is almost fully engaged (about 0.5mm or 0.02" to go) and the back
pin is about 2mm (approx 5/64" or .0787") from being fully engaged.

Any further suggestions or advice on how to sort out the discrepancy between the
front and back pins would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I've discovered that 9.5 degrees C or 49 degrees F is ideal for
fitting the metal parts together.  It is proving much easier to install and
remove
the torque tube now than in warmer weather.

graeme.hart@onecoolkat wrote:
> Thanks for the tips everyone.
>
> I ended up buying a selection of pipes from Aircraft Spruce with approx the
> right
inside diameter. One of the pipes was a pretty good fit.

> I now have the right side tailplane fitting quite well, the front pin is fully
engaged and the back pin is about 2mm (approx 5/64" or .0787") from being fully
engaged.

> The left side tailplane is not quite there yet, I have approx 2mm (approx
> 5/64")
gap from the pin being fully engaged at the front and 5mm (approx 13/64" or
0.1969"at the back.

> As far as I can tell all four pins are very close to parallel with the torque
tube.

> I believe the problem with the right side tailplane to be the position of the
bushing. I'm not sure which of the two bushings to move but I expect one of them
is in the wrong place.

> The left side is a bit more complex, I can't see anything stopping the pin
> from
fully engaging. My next step is going to be to measure inside the tailplane
to see if the torque tube is hitting something inside the tailplane. The pip
pin holes have not yet been drilled so I can't use that as a guide.

> Any suggestions or critique of the above thoughts would be most welcome. I've
wasted enough time procrastinating over the tailplane fit, I want to get them
installed and move on.

Read this topic online here: