Europa-List: Re: TRIG TY96 and SmartASS 3

Subject: Europa-List: Re: TRIG TY96 and SmartASS 3
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 10:20:22

This is an update about the problem I had with the SmartASS 3 and TY96 radio.
The
symptom was an extremely weak audio signal from the SmartAss. After extensive
investigation by Smart Avionics, TRIG and myself it appears that both the
SmartAss
and the TY96 were working properly and the culprit was my wiring of the
radio audio output. The TY96 offers two options of wiring the audio output
depending
on whether you are using an audio panel/external intercom or the integrated
intercom. What the Trig Manual does not say is when their "audio panel
interconnect" schematic is used, then the radio AUX input is inoperative, as
they
assume that the AUX input of the audio panel/external intercom will be used
instead. However for those who want to use the TY96 AUX input and an external
intercom, there is one alternative solution: connect pins 2 and 3 together
(those
pins normally go to the pilot stereo headset) and use that as the mono audio
output to the intercom, instead of using pin 7 per the manual. That may help
future users of the TY96.
I want to add that both Smart Avionics and Trig were both very helpful at
diagnosing
the problem.
Remi Guerner
F-PGKL