Re: Europa-List: Re: Lightweight rechargeable battery backup unit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Lightweight rechargeable battery backup unit
From: Kevin Challis <cakeykev@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 20:06:04

The unit I suggested is used by an aircraft instrument manufacturer just covered
over and sold as a package. It's a cost effective way of keeping your efis
running
if you lose all power. It was only a suggestion.

Kevin Challis

> On 23 Mar 2017, at 19:32, Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk> wrote:
>

> I'm not an LAA Inspector only an electronics engineer but from an aviation
> perspective
I would be considering if the unit emits any RF Noise in the VHF and
1030/1090MHz band that would cause interference with the operation of the VHF
Comms and Transponder.

> If the specifications dont have any reference to interference protection then
its down to someone to bench test one with suitable test equipment to see if
thats the case or - see what happens when next to a VHF Receiver.

> For example many cheap USB power supplies emit RF noise from the circuit
> converting
12v to 5v which break through the mute on a VHF comms receiver. I've also
seen interference from cheap LED lamps used for nose lights do the same thing.

> Interference could be either airborne or though the power cables in/out
> depending
on how suppression for the unit has been designed.

> Thats aside from any question that the LAA may have from the use as a fall
> back
device for power and the possibility of failure in its own right as point of
common mode failure for dependent instruments.

> IMHO
>
> Alan Burrill
>
> G-OBJT
>

>> On 21 Mar 2017, at 15:06, BobD <rjd@bobdawson.plus.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Kevin,
>> Thanks for your reply. I did actually come across this unit in my web search,
but as it says it is for cars, I am not knowledgeable enough to know if it is
also suitable for aviation. It's also from the USA, and I would prefer a UK
(or UK distributed) solution if possible.

>> It is along the lines of the sort of thing I am looking for, it should be
>> fairly
easy to find an enclosure to house the PCB and battery.