Re: Europa-List: Re: Lightweight rechargeable battery backup unit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Lightweight rechargeable battery backup unit
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 18:32:53

I'm not an LAA Inspector only an electronics engineer but from an aviation
perspective
I would be considering if the unit emits any RF Noise in the VHF and
1030/1090MHz
band that would cause interference with the operation of the VHF Comms
and Transponder.

If the specifications dont have any reference to interference protection then
its
down to someone to bench test one with suitable test equipment to see if thats
the case or - see what happens when next to a VHF Receiver.

For example many cheap USB power supplies emit RF noise from the circuit
converting
12v to 5v which break through the mute on a VHF comms receiver. I've also
seen interference from cheap LED lamps used for nose lights do the same thing.

Interference could be either airborne or though the power cables in/out
depending
on how suppression for the unit has been designed.

Thats aside from any question that the LAA may have from the use as a fall back
device for power and the possibility of failure in its own right as point of
common mode failure for dependent instruments.

IMHO

Alan Burrill

G-OBJT

> On 21 Mar 2017, at 15:06, BobD <rjd@bobdawson.plus.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Kevin,
> Thanks for your reply. I did actually come across this unit in my web search,
but as it says it is for cars, I am not knowledgeable enough to know if it is
also suitable for aviation. It's also from the USA, and I would prefer a UK (or
UK distributed) solution if possible.

> It is along the lines of the sort of thing I am looking for, it should be
> fairly
easy to find an enclosure to house the PCB and battery.