Re: Europa-List: mono to trigear conversion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: mono to trigear conversion
From: david park <dpark748@icloud.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 22:22:19
Hi Graham,
I built the Mono G-LDVO as i was looking for efficiency and speed for tourin
g which is what the Mono excels at.
I converted my Mono to Trike after a near crosswind event which almost took m
y prop - Airmaster!!
I compromised on the speed, only a few Knots and efficiency, a little more s
ignificant as weight now 906lbs.
Ground handling is simple, crosswinds can be handled with a confidence i did
n't have with the Mono. Doing longer touring trips its nice to know i can ha
ndle crosswinds safely wherever i end up without getting stranded with a ben
t prop or worse.
Maintenance is easier as removing wings leaves the fuselage standing without
 extra support.
The conversion is straight forward. The nose wheel leg is easily done, i use
d springs instead of bungee.
The main legs need careful jigging on a secured fuselage. This is the bigges
t job and needs two people peeping fibreglass and resin and applying. I had t
he help of Neville Eyre who did most of the install of the main legs. I woul
d recommend you get someone with similar experience to help.
Upside--- A novice could fly the Trike with confidence. Resale value!!
Easy the maintain.
I still cruise at 120kts at 24" one up.
Downside--- Weight - load carrying capacity.
If i was building another it would be a Mono to retain efficiency. But that i
s a personal choice.
Best Regards
Dave Park

Dave Park

> On 13 Feb 2017, at 20:40, Graham Higgins <gnhiggins@bigpond.com> wrote:
>

> Has anyone who has done the mono to trigear conversion had cause to  regre
t doing it?

> I understand the weight and speed penalties, and cost, but am interested i
n opinions re improved ground handling, especially landings, cross wind limi
ts etc.

=========
=========
=========