Europa-List: Re: Painting

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Painting
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 11:12:05

Will,
Your Europa build manual has a chapter (36) concerning finishing your airplane.
It states:
1.       The molded parts (fuselage, wings, cowls etc) are ready to paint only
requiring
a light sanding.  We washed the parts with soap and warm water; then sanded
with 280-320 grit sandpaper to remove any shine.  (Europa says 360 grit but
that wasnt available here).
2.      The foam filled flying surfaces (flaps, ailerons, tailplanes and
rudder) need
filled before painting.  We washed them first as well.

The foam filled flying surfaces must be post cured for 8-10 hours at 40-50 deg
C.  We used epoxy mixed with expancel (supplied with the kit) to fill the weave.
 You want a pretty dry mixture (as much expancel as you can get into the epoxy
so it isnt shiny).  Best results are if each batch is mixed in exactly the
same proportions because if you have to refill a spot and one batch was wetter,
it will be harder than the filler next to it which makes sanding evenly very
difficult.  We mixed a set amount of epoxy and then measured the expancel (by
volume 1 part mixed epoxy to 10 parts expancel worked for us).  We mixed some
plain epoxy and wiped a little on the weave with an old sock so that the dry
expancel mixture would adhere.  Then let the expancel dry thoroughly.  In damp,
cool Michigan, that could take days!  Then sand to properly contour, refilling
& sanding as necessary.

We used expancel/epoxy to smooth and fill the joints where the fuselage halves
meet and the closeout panels on the top wing surfaces.  Probably spread the
filler
to an area 6-8 inches wide on either side of the seam to get a nice blended
surface.

There were a series of articles in Sport Aviation around 2005 that we used for
guidance.  The articles are available as a book from EAA,
http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/media/aviation-books/2256137300000__how-to-paint-your-own-airplane

We followed the articles closely and used Poly Fibers products and instructions
for applying the products.  We washed the parts with 310 Alkaline cleaner mixed
20:1 with water, rinsed thoroughly and used Prep Wipe.  We then used UV Smooth
Prime on the entire airframe, both molded parts and foam filled parts to provide
UV protection for the fiberglass. It also gave a hard finish without pinholes.
This was followed by Epoxy Primer EP420 and finally Aerothane final finish.
We then color sanded.  Probably the epoxy primer was not necessary.

We were advised not to use polyester automotive filler because it does not
remain
flexible enough to handle the movement of composites. At that time (2005) we
were also advised not to use automotive paint for the same reason, but many
seem to have success with it.  As Ira states, we saw his airplane when we were
at Custom flight Creations in December and it looks great!

There are as many opinions about painting as their are Europas!  This is how we
did ours and we are happy with the results.  Hopefully Bud Yerly will comment
as he has much more experience, especially using the products available today.

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here: