Re: Europa-List: Painting

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Painting
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 20:35:45

William, If you use gel coat there is just a single layer to spray on
and then you wet & dry sand most of it off, going progressively through
400, 1200 and 2000 grit to produce the most superb and very durable
finirsh. You do not need any primer or UV barrier as gel coat includes
those.

Regards, David, GXSDJ

On 2017-02-02 11:45, William Daniell wrote:

> Finally after 12 years ....HJ460 is now in its hangar awaiting paint. We fired
up the engine and the dynon and much to my surprise everthing works

> I realize that this is not over and I have merely completed phase 1.
>
> HJ460 is a "fast build" (hahahaha) with gel coat over wings and fuselage and
the cloth flying surfaces are filled and sanded. She has the minor dings and
epoxy
drips from 12 years of constructions.

> PAINTING the plan suggested by the Colombian painter is
>
> * sand gel coat with fine paper
> * fill all visible dings with micro
> * apply epoxy primer
> * sand
> * fill with polyester filler
> * re primer
> * paint (white) with aircraft paint.
> * Lacquer on top
>
> Any input gratefully received. Does this sound like a plan? Is polyester car
filler appropriate? Many thanks