Re: Europa-List: Re: 1.5 degrees right?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: 1.5 degrees right?
From: david park <dpark748@icloud.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 21:49:04

This is from the Rotax Installation Manual.
Dave

The engine mounting frame has been designed with the engine offset to the right
by 1.5. To check
that this offset is correct, clamp a straight edge to the propeller flange
horizontally
and mark a point
51 cm (20") each side of the engine centre line. Measure the distance from these
points, parallel to the
aircraft centre line, to the firewall. The difference between the two readings
should be 26 mm
(1 1/16"). If any correction is found necessary, shim between the landing gear
frame and the
appropriate cup washer using AN960-516L washers. In order to ensure that the
split
pin is correctly
positioned relative to the castellated nut it will be necessary to use a total
of at least 4 washers on each
bolt. Any washers that are not needed to act as positioning shims should be
placed
immediately
under the nut. Make a note of where and how many shim washers are used for later
reference.

Dave Park

> On 17 Jan 2017, at 21:13, jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

> I've read and re-read all of your comments with much interest and there's one
observation I'd like to make. I'm fairly sure that the early Classic Europas
had no engine offset and that the designers might have thought it unnecessary
with only 80hp from a 912UL.

> My reasons for thinking this are that the topic never got mentioned by anyone
at any time. The brilliant Don Dykins makes no mention of it to my knowledge
in his paper "Understandings the aerodynamics of your Europa".

> Furthermore when I was building my aircraft over 20 years ago, the cowls
> needed
at least as much trimming and fettling as do the XS cowls to get them to match
the fuselage, which makes it seem unlikely that the cowls on the Classic were
serving as datum for correct engine/propeller alignment.

> My final reason is of the "proof of the pudding" variety, in that my Classic
has a very pronounced swing to the left when applying power at low speed. Not
that I noticed it, but someone else who was unfamiliar with my Europa definitely
did notice.