Re: Europa-List: Airmaster or =?UTF-8?Q?Woodcomp=3F?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Airmaster or =?UTF-8?Q?Woodcomp=3F?
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 15:49:33

Jeroen, I do not know of anyone who has done a direct comparison between
the Airmaster and the Woodcomp prop in controlled circumstances,
although I first became interested in the Woodcomp when at the Europa
Fly out to Prague in 2000, two XS 914s took off at the same time. Tom
Justic with a Woodcomp prop dramatically out-climbed the Europa company
one with an Airmaster - which caught my attention at the time and was
instrumental in persuading me to go through the significant hassle of
being the first to import one into the UK LAA fleet.

 I have since come to believe that both are excellent propellers. The
latest SR3000 has a totally redesigned hub mechanism which is
beautifully robust, and the High twist 'W' blades are particularly
efficient. (with my SR300-3W/914/XS/mono I can exceed Vne TAS on the
level at 6000ft upwards). I do not think you would go wrong with either
propeller, but I would certainly think that the Airmaster is not worth
an extra E2000. What I would say is worth it is to have a constant speed
controller. The manual might be very false economy. In a slippery plane
like a Europa it is very easy to increase speed and RPM, especially if
you are in some conflict situation where you are distracted.
Overspeeding the engine is not a good thing. In fact a constant speed
unit does above all keep things simple - you simply select take off,
climb or cruise settings by press of a button, and the controller does
the rest, whereas the manual controller needs more thought and pilot
input to get things right.

Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ

On 2016-11-09 15:04, jglazener wrote:

> I am rapidly getting to the point where I need to select my propeller to go
> with
a 912ULS engine. Having already decided on an in flight adjustable, the choice
seems to come down to the following:

> Airmaster AP332 with Whirlwind blades and AC200 CS controller. Eur ~6000
>
> Woodcomp SR3000 with CS5 CS controller. Eur 4000
>
> Woodcomp SR3000 with manual controller. Eur 3500
>
> Based on the price I can surmise thet the Airmaster is better, but is it twice
as good, and more importantly, is the Woodcomp maybe good enough?

> Then there is the choice between CS and manual which the Woodcomp offers.
> Manual
is cheaper and as a first timer I want to keep things simple, so that has
some appeal. The importer also kindly mentioned that he does not have good
experiences
with the CS setup, which is either refreshingly homest or an indication
of a dud product.

> So which is it to be? Your opinions and experiences would be highly
> appreciated!
>
> --------
> Jeroen
>
> http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=44165 [1]