Re: Europa-List: What the..... Trim Tab built upside down - Seriously

Subject: Re: Europa-List: What the..... Trim Tab built upside down - Seriously
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 08:54:57
Tony,

That is strange!

Have you tried reversing the stabs.  Put the port on starboard and
vice-versa.  That would require inverting the stabs putting them with
the trim tabs & actuators on the underside and the pip-pin on the top.
See if they fit that way and the pins can be properly inserted.  If they
fit properly and you can insert the pip-pins, you have a good start to
correcting the issue.  Perhaps the stab and trim travel would even be
correct.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com

<tony@weimagine.com.au>

> In completing my MOD70 (Mass Balance arm replacement) I ran the checks
that were called for in the MOD instructions. It calls for about 12 - 13
deg UP as measured from the tailplane trailing edge and 4 deg DOWN.

> The build manual is more specific when it comes to this part of the
construction. It partly says...

> The tailplane trailing edge needs to rotate upwards 12 deg and
downwards 4 deg  to cover the full range.
> You will notice (I hope) that as the trailing edge of the tailplane is
raised the trailing edge of the tab
> raises even further, the ratio being approximately 1.3 to 1.
Therefore, when you have raised the
> trailing edge of the tailplane by 12=C2=B0, the tab should have raised
15.6=C2=B0 relative to the tailplane or 27.6=C2=B0
> from the zero start position.
> A maximum total movement of 18=C2=B0 and a minimum of 14.4=C2=B0
relative to the tailplane is acceptable.

> Similarly, moving the tailplane trailing edge down 4 deg from the zero
reference point the tab should
> move down 5.2=C2=B0 relative to the tailplane, or 9.2=C2=B0 relative
to the zero reference position.

> Well my aircraft behaves NOTHING like this. The previous owner (God
bless him) decided to build the Trim Tabs inverted. That is to say that
the hinges for the trim tabs are located at the BOTTOM of the tailplane,
the actuator pins for the trim tabs are located ON TOP of the tailplane,
and the pip-pin access recess is located at the BOTTOM of the tailplane.

> .
> The result of all this is that I only get about 5 deg up and 3 deg
down but you have not heard the worst.....in this configuration when the
stabiliser trailing edge is moved UP the trim tab goes DOWN and vice
versa.

> Can you now see why Im at my wits end? This what I inherited from a
partially built project....  :-(