Europa-List: Re: XS Firewall Forward Question

Subject: Europa-List: Re: XS Firewall Forward Question
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 02:20:20

Kingsley,

While I'm not best qualified to give you an answer, I built an early Europa
Classic
kit UK#54. In the past 19 years it has given me and many others much enjoyment
and to quote Bud Yerly's website " After his career in the Air Force, he
began looking and found the Europa was the finest flying sport aircraft hands
down, with good cruise and excellent economy."

However there's one benefit I wish I could have in my Classic, which the XS
offers
and that is the engine mount with intermediate frame which moves the engine
about 8" or 20cm forward. This facilitates installing the longer-bodied starter
motor.

Originally I had the excellent 80hp engine, but after changing undercarriage
from
mono to tri-gear, it became necessary to change from 80hp to 100hp to overcome
the extra rolling resistance on grass caused by smaller wheels.

Historically the 100hp 912ULS unit had starting difficulties and various
measures
were introduced to overcome these, including the longer starter motor. Thus
far I've found that my 912ULS can be started without "kick-backs", but I would
be happier if I could also have installed the longer starter. The Classic frame
simply won't accommodate it!

If you have the 80hp engine and it has the shorter starter, I would be surprised
if you experience significant starting problems. I didn't.

Read this topic online here: