Re: Europa-List: Re: Just checking

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Just checking
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 13:13:55

Ill second Iras suggestion to go to AeroElectrics at MatronicsBob Nuckolls is a
true guru for all things electrichas been very helpful to me w/ my
electrically-dependent
engine, particularly w/ regards to developing my plan B in the event
things go south while airbornehis book is a treasurehe does not, however,
suffer fools gladly.

F.

PS: For the curious, I am focusing on getting my cooling system to do the job
while
Miz. E is sitting on the ground.

> On Sep 12, 2016, at 3:45 AM, rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Will,
>
> If you are using the minimalist Europa power system, then in general, your
> surmise is correct. The battery supplies power to the "grid" when the
> alternator produces less than the charging voltage (say 12V for the sake of
> simplicity). When the alternator generates its full voltage  or approximately
> 13.6V, it pushes energy back into the battery and is the source of buss power.
>
> That being said, I have seen a few very crazy things done in OBAM aircraft.
> Also, I dare say no one outside the UK uses the exact design provided by
> Europa. My own power system uses a "carefully" considered modification of Bob
Nuckolls' designs. The advantage of going beyond the minimalist
> design includes mainly removal of critical single point failure nodes and the
inclusion of secondary sources (I have a second alternator and battery for
> the EFIS as I used to do IFR ops).
>
> I have also recently seen crazy things done to other engine systems. A local
elderly gent with a kitfox installed a shutoff valve in his oil reservoir return