Europa-List: Re: Something is stealing my electricity

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Something is stealing my electricity
From: zwakie <mz@cariama.nl>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 15:21:00

I agree with Ira, it's time to get the as built schematics. Without those, it's
anybody's guess I would think.

And since we're guessing already, I might chime in... reading the original post
there's two things going on:
1. Electricity is being used when all switches are OFF and engine is not running
2. Alternator field comes on-line when MASTER is OFF (suggested by the jump of
voltage to 14 some Volts when switching to OFF)

I can think of one wiring scenario that explains both symptoms: this electrical
system has a relay that brings the alternator field on-line when the MASTER
switch
is OFF.

When this scenario is indeed what we have here, I would think it is safe to
assume
also that this relay ONLY gets energized with the MASTER switch in the OFF
position, otherwise you would see 14 some Volts with MASTER in the ON position
also.

Don't ask me how you would have to wire things to make this happen, maybe the
type
of switch for the MASTER switch is of another type than you're thinking? Might
be worthwhile to check, but again you would need the as built schematics
to come to the proper conclusion...

I know, this all sounds far-fetched and unlikely, but it would explain things...

(OK, go ahead and send me off to the nut-house now  [Wink] )

--------
Marcel Zwakenberg
XS TG || 912ULS || PH-SBR

Read this topic online here: