Re: Europa-List: LiFeO4 batteries?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: LiFeO4 batteries?
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 21:29:16

Hi Clive,
I have a Shorai motorbike battery for my 912s Rotax engine.
Wonderfully light and powerful. Certainly needed in winter here. This mornin
g it started without a problem with a -3C frost!
See;
Shoraipower.com

Due to the more powerful 912s compared to the 912 Rotax came out with a more
 powerful starter motor  to overcome the higher compression of the 912s. My 9
12s came with the 912 starter. Unfortunately because I have the engine frame
 for the Monowheel Classic there was inadequate room to fit the new starter m
otor. To overcome that I have to have a powerful battery for starting.
Answer to your questions,

1) What is the typical life of these batteries (experience data preferred ov
er product information)?
Not sure but still good after three years
> 2) What UK supplier did you use?
Sorry not sure, look at website.
> 3) If you have a Rotax 912S, which battery did you choose?
Shorai LFX09L2-BS12 12v
> 4) As a result of the weight save, did you have to relocate the battery to
 preserve W&B, and if so where did you site it?
No, still ok on top of the starboard footwell. I have a Monowheel Classic
> 5) Do the LAA care about the fitment of these batteries/any permit complic
ations?
Not sure about LAA. In NZ as far as I know all ok.

I will send the installation instructions shortly.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Mob +64 210640221

> On 30/07/2016, at 7:42 PM, Clive Sutton <clive.maf@googlemail.com> wrote:

m>

> I need to replace my PC680 AGM battery.  The weight advantage of choosing o
ne of the new generation Lithium iron phosphate batteries is stunning (sever
al kg).  The weight-saving comes at a price premium of course.

=========
=========
=========
=========