Re: Europa-List: Report: Nye grease nose-wheel fork friction

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Report: Nye grease nose-wheel fork friction
From: david park <dpark748@icloud.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 09:27:19
Will be down on Saturday will send then.
Dave

Dave Park

> On 1 Aug 2016, at 09:16, James Kelly <europajimkelly@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>                 Did you remember to photograph the Ultimate Ventilator pos
ition for me ?
> Have you flown to Alderney yet, if not fancy a flight?
> Jim
>
>> On Sunday, 31 July 2016, david park <dpark748@icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>> I also used sticky grease! Can't remember name, it's in the hangar. I fou
nd it difficult to turn on the brakes and have reverted to the original syst
em. Will compare you product with mine?

>> Dave Park
>>

>> > On 31 Jul 2016, at 22:58, jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk> wrote
:

o.uk>

>> > Just over 3 years ago I got my mono converted to tri-gear and it was su
ggested to use the Nye product as a means of enabling the nose-wheel to cast
or smoothly i.e. no jerky snatching when initiating turns with brakes. Becau
se this grease can also be used as a lubricant, I applied it to the spindle a
nd bronze bushes.

>> > This was an excellent idea which has worked smoothly and trouble free d
uring over 200 hours and about 250 flights. As time goes by the grease on th
e friction disc gradually gets squeezed out around the edge of the disc and n
eeds to be wiped away.

>> > A couple of flights ago I experienced slight nose-wheel shimmy while la
nding and therefore tightened the nut at the top of the spindle, before maki
ng another flight and getting a repeat of the shimmy.

>> > So today I removed the nose-wheel fork and was slightly surprised to di
scover that there were only a few slight traces of Nye grease on the frictio
n disc, which had become glass smooth and dry without any stickiness. The gr
ease remaining on the spindle and the bushes had become somewhat less sticky
 and was quite easy to wipe away.

>> > All metal surfaces were corrosion free, unmarked and look new, so the g
rease definitely lubricates and protects. Following thorough cleaning with a
cetone and paper towel, I applied new grease as before and reassembled, chec
king that the nose-wheel fork has similar resistance to being turned.

>> > Hindsight is marvellous and I thought when driving home that perhaps I s
hould have slightly roughened the friction disc to give the grease a better s
urface to hold. Ah well, next time!