Europa-List: Re: New Smartphone App for pilots

Subject: Europa-List: Re: New Smartphone App for pilots
From: zwakie <mz@cariama.nl>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:48:26

Hi Ira,

First let me say that I really like your app and how you present the
information.
Good to learn that you already incorporated Rowland's suggestions!

I would be interested to find out how accurate the barometric sensor is with
increasing
altitude. Have you done some tests/validations of this yet?

A friendly word of caution: providing a estimate for T/O length compared to ISA
might be dangerous from a liability point of view. Having developed hundreds
of programs during my professional life that provide users with information, I
have learned that after some time of using such programs people will take
estimated
information as an absolute truth, and base real-life decisions on it. This
human behavior especially manifests itself when the numbers seem to be within
the user's perceived margin of accuracy. My advise would be to carefully think
this feature over, and if you decide to show an estimated T/O length make
sure that it is clearly accompanied with a warning that T/O length should always
be manually calculated using the official performance data that came with
the airplane.

I can certainly see the future potential of your app, very well done and keep up
the good work!

--------
Marcel Zwakenberg
XS TG || 912ULS || PH-SBR