Europa-List: Re: Wings for monowheel trailer stability

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Wings for monowheel trailer stability
From: JonSmith <jonsmitheuropa@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 08:11:07

Hi William, sounds clever!  I am totally unqualified to comment on the wisdom or
otherwise of using the aircraft fittings for purposes other than their designed
use.
Just a couple of thoughts, would another set of "wings" fit straight onto your
aircraft?  You might end up spending a lot of time and effort repositioning the
front and rear wing pins etc to match yours?

I trailer and solo rig mine every time I fly - I just use a ratchet type luggage
strap that I pass through the fuselage where the wing spars go through.  I
arrange
it to pass over the tufnol rigging guides then vertically down each side
where each end of the strap attaches onto the trailer side frame using the
strap's
built in metal hooks. (Around the frame and looped back on itself).
I use an old broom stick trimmed to length with a small spike on the end to pass
the end of the strap through the fuselage where I can then catch it the other
side.  I tighten it down with the ratchet to compress the suspension block just
enough so that it will not bounce up and down in transit; as such the fuselage
is held absolutely rock steady.  I always release the tension after transit
so as not to prematurely permanently deform the rubber block!
Very quick and simple, the strap cost about 5.  I've done this for 13 years now
with no problems.
Jon

--------
G-TERN