Europa-List: coolant overflow bottle questions

Subject: Europa-List: coolant overflow bottle questions
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 18:55:49

Im trying to find the optimum position to install my coolant overflow bottle,
and
have come up with some associated queries.

(1) On the relatively few installations of which Ive got pictures, most people
seem to fit it at the port side on top of the footwell. My present plan for the
layout of the battery and electrics offers space for it on the starboard side
instead. However, either of these locations makes it somewhat inaccessible for
daily checks. My copy of the Rotax Operators Manual says (inter alia):

"10.3.1) Daily checks
.
.
Verify coolant level in the overflow bottle, replenish as required.
The coolant level must be between max. and min. mark or at least 0.2 litre (0.4
liq pt).

It must be near-impossible to see the level in the overflow bottle (in the
typical
port footwell location) from the hatch over the expansion tank - how do other
folk comply with this requirement for daily checks?

(2) My Rotax Installation Manual says:

"Expansion tank to overflow bottle hose:
- Hose connecting expansion tank to overflow bottle must be rated for
vacuum/suction
for min. 125 C (257 F). E.g. it must be strong enough to withstand high
heat and suction during the cooling down period.
WARNING: A soft walled hose is not suitable as it can collapse and cause coolant
system failure."

What have people in UK used for the pipe/tubing/hose from the expansion tank to
the overflow bottle to ensure compliance with the above?

(3) Ive seen both tie-wraps and bent aluminium straps used to retain the
overflow
bottle. The ali strap seems more satisfactory as the whole aft face of the
bottle can be in contact with, and supported by, the firewall. Anyone had any
good or bad experiences with either method?

All thoughts on these topics welcome.

in friendship

Rowland