Re: Europa-List: SmartASS my UndercarriageSmartASS my UndercarriageSmart

Subject: Re: Europa-List: SmartASS my UndercarriageSmartASS my UndercarriageSmartASS
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2016 11:23:15

Will,
I use 3000 AGL.  It allows a person in checkout to really plumber up a
stall, loose 1000 feet and allow me time to do a low/ high speed dive
recovery and recover by 1000 AGL which is my maneuvering floor.  In your
flight training, at least my initial civil pilot training, our flight school
required a minimum altitude for students practicing stalls of 2500 feet.  I
used every bit of that when I plumbered up a takeoff departure stall.  I
flipped inverted (1), did a completely loaded roll (2), and ended up
straight down and did about a 2 G recovery (3) losing every bit of 2000 feet
and getting a really close look at the 300 foot bluffs along the Mississippi
river.  I talked to our chief pilot and that is when I formulated I would
fly at least three mistakes high and use a floor initially of 500 feet.
When we did spin training in the Cessna 150 (a fairly good spinner), we used
4500 or 5000 for the start entry if memory serves.  Again, the chief pilot
felt that 1500 feet for a single turn spin would be lost, then the
instructor could plumber up the spin, and loose another 1500 feet and then
do a dive recovery and come back with a story to tell rather than a smoking
hole.  Later when we were brave and young with 50 hours of private pilot
time, we would fly Aeronca Champs and do spins to a heading and never loose
more than 500 feet.  It is a different and safer world now.

Note:  My personal floor is 1000 AGL now for any cruising or maneuvering.  I
fly pretty much straight and level, and no more than 45 degrees of bank and
do not slow below glide speed below that.  Below 1000 feet you are in the
low altitude structure and that is a different discipline.  Low altitude
maneuvering or military low level training were disciplines well regulated
and trained for extensively.  Your time to disaster is very short.

The piddle packs have been improved, and for those with the high top, I was
ferrying Gary Leinberger's high top, the room is incredible...  At 5'10'
(well hunched over and shorter now) you can change your pants in it.  In my
Classic, I can't sit up straight without hitting the canopy.  If I have to
go, I need a towel, and use one of the new gel type packs called the Travel
John.  I haven't needed the towel but it's better to be safe than sorry.
After prostate cancer, I'm afraid not even an extension will work any
longer.  Believe it or not, I actually went up three mistakes high to even
try using the packs after the radiation treatments had me bothered about the
urgency of urination I was experiencing.  It is nice to have that behind me
now.

Regards,
Bud