Re: Europa-List: TruTrak Gemini ADI

Subject: Re: Europa-List: TruTrak Gemini ADI
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 22:09:53
I have an early (2012?) TruTrak Gemini ADI with a back up battery, an
external GPS and a pitot/static connnection.

I purchased Gemini because my conventional electro mechanical "steam"
horizon was next to nothing.

That was a wrong move because and I cannot recommed TruTrak Gemini ADI
at all.
Its impossible to keep your altitude with it.
That pitch system does not work.
When level flying and vertical speed is zero it claims Im climbing.
In manual they wrote

"The pitch display of the Gemini ADI is velocity vector.
This is not pitch attitude but rather the flight path of the aircraft."

and

"As long as the reference plane is on the horizon line, the aircraft is
maintaining altitude;
regardless of power setting or pitch attitude."

Thats difficult because its never on the line!
Impossible to adjust or calibrate.
Touch screen does not work properly.

I have tried to ask custom support from TruTrak but that is not easy.
Finally they answered that I have to pay 300 $ to get it fixed.
They promised to send me an authorization number for "update" but never
got it.

I have thought these problems are because Im one of the first Gemini
customer and very first in Europe.
After reading LAA report maybe its not so - they simply doesnt work
generally.

Shortly: looks nice but nothing else.

I have had Dynon D10 since 2007 and it has operated perfectly.

My wife has Dynon D1 pocket panel (portable EFIS) and its wonderful,
very handy and easy to use.
Operates surprisingly well without a pitot/static connection.
Maybe not a primary instrument for IFR but good back up anyway!

Im considering to throw Gemidi ADI away and replace it for new Garmin G5.

Im pretty sure its good - it must be...

I fly quite a lot during night and IMC. One time my D10 may fail and
then I need an operational backup system. Or vice versa.

I think iPad is an exellent platform for navigation software (SkyDemon
is my choise) but not for flight instruments.

Cheers, Raimo Toivio

Europa XS Mono OH-XRT #417 2007
LamcoCub M OH-U666 2004
Bravo AS202T OH-NTM 1995
Antonov AN-2 TDSRM AirCamper HA-MDO 1987
Beechcraft C45 Twin OH-BLL 1953

37500 Lempaala
FINLAND

p +358-3-3753 777
m +358-40-590 1450

FLYING BREWERY
- only beer in the world brewed to aircraft standards
   by pilots to pilots and also to normal people

raimo.toivio@rwm.fi <mailto:raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
www.flyingbreweryfinland.fi <http://www.flyingbreweryfinland.fi/>
www.rwm.fi <http://www.rwm.fi/>
17.4.2016, 16:18, Guerner Remi kirjoitti:

> I am planning to replace my mechanical gyro instruments and get rid of the
> vacuum
system. I am not contemplating a big screen PFD but would install a 3-1/4"
electronic AI. The TruTrak Gemini ADI would have my preference, but I am puzzled
by the singularity of the pitch display which is not actual pitch attitude.
My question to those who are using this instrument is: how easy is it to use
it in simulated or actual IMC?