Re: Europa-List: choke cable query

Subject: Re: Europa-List: choke cable query
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 14:14:50

Rowland,

FWIW.  That is the way my Choke has operated from day one.

I hold the choke out when starting cold.  Use the throttle to set about
2000-2200
RPM to warm up.  Then, continuing to hold the Choke knob, allow it to slowly
retreat to maintain that 2000-2200 RPM as the engine warms and RPM slowly
increases.
Kind of gives me something to do while monitoring Oil Pressure, Oil Temp,
Coolant Temp, CHT & EGT while warming the engine.  My Choke will hold with
about 1/4 of travel remaining.  I have to be on the throttle when I push it
in that last quarter inch as the engine RPM will drop quite a bit and I have to
add throttle to get it back above 1800 RPM.

I dont know of any means of increasing friction in the cable system to allow the
cable to hold against the springs on the carbs.

Hope this helps.  Maybe someone else can come up with a better idea.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (85 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com