Re: Europa-List: choke cable query

Subject: Re: Europa-List: choke cable query
From: Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 19:10:23

No Roland you have not missed anything.  You hold the choke with one
hand while pressing the starter with your second hand and holding the
stick back with your third.

Pete
G-RMAC Classic #109

On 06/04/16 18:53, Rowland Carson wrote:

> Ive got to the stage of hanging my Rotax 912ULS engine on my Europa XS
> monowheel
fuselage, just to check how and where various things will fit and where holes
have to be made in the firewall, etc. (The firewall is not yet fitted at this
stage and the engine will be coming off again later to fit that.)

> Ive connected the choke cables to the carbs but am puzzled by the resulting
> action
at the knob. It seems to need quite a bit of effort to pull it out, and
it will not stay in the out (ie choke on) position, but slides back in to almost
the rest position immediately.

> I routed the cables the same way as the throttle cables, through the small gap
between the top tube of the landing gear frame and the corner of the phenolic
firewall, and they seem quite comfortable there. I have fitted the SkyDrive
carb heaters which move the carbs aftwards a little, but I don't think that has
a significant effect on the cable routing.

> I had to snip a tiny bit off the stiff soldered ends of the cable inners in
> order
to persuade them round the right-angle guide on the carbs, but otherwise
I believe I have followed the manual exactly.

> Is it intended that the choke knob has to be held out manually? Or is there
> some
trick Ive missed?