Re: Europa-List: fuel lines

Subject: Re: Europa-List: fuel lines
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 23:10:47

Rowland, I am not convinced of the need to protect the fuel pipes
running through the wheel arch. I have done a lot of landings in some
fairly rough places over the last 13 years and have never detected any
damage to hoses (non metal sheathed) nor yet to any of the multiple
cables running through there. The paint on the flap actuator rod has
also survived well. So this is another area not to add extra weight to
IMHO.

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2015-11-03 09:33, Rowland Carson wrote:

> On 2015-11-02, at 23:09, fraser221 <vicflett@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Planning the fuel lines using finger strainers at the tank, via gascolator
>> and
flowscans on the send and return lines. can anyone advise whether I should
use a restrictor on the return line and suggested type of hose etc. any advice
and pics would be appreciated. Engine install is 912s.

> Vic - I am installing much the same arrangement in an XS, although with just
1 Floscan sender. I understand the restrictor in the return line is important
for ensuring the correct fuel pressure at the carbs. I'm using rigid aluminium
pipe in the aft fuselage but stainless steel braided hose in the tunnel (to
resist
damage by stones thrown up by the wheel) and firewall-forward. Another
possibility
for protecting the pipe in the tunnel is to encase the aluminium pipe
in a glass-fibre covering.

> You can see a drawing of my fuel system and a list of the components here:
>
> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/aviation/europa_435/fuel_system.php [1]
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> in friendship
>
> Rowland
>
> | Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
> | <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk [2]
> | Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson
> | pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/rowlandcarson [3]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/aviation/europa_435/fuel_system.php