Europa-List: Rotax 912S mixture vs mag drop

Subject: Europa-List: Rotax 912S mixture vs mag drop
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 03:02:44

I never cease to amaze myself with how much I've forgotten, or never knew in the
past 48 years since I started flying for a living. Admittedly most of my flying
was powered by gas turbines, but I have been flying my Europa Classic for
18 years and keep having to "re-invent the wheel."

For reasons I won't bore you with, it came about that I needed to fiddle with
the
carburettor needle positions and after each experimental move of the needles
by one notch, I took the engine up to full temperature and performed repeated
"mag" drop checks along the way.

The long and the short of this is that the leaner the mixture (needles moved
down)
the greater the "mag" drop and vice versa. If we had different engines with
separate mixture control in the cockpit, then this would be glaringly obvious.
But I've become so accustomed to single lever engine control, that I've mentally
obliterated such out-dated complications.

So if you think that your "mag" drop check gives borderline (too much drop)
results,
consider moving your needles one notch richer. It's dramatic how greatly
the results get improved, to well within book figures. Here's a quote and a
link:

"The leaner the mixture, the more mag drop you'll see on one mag, and that's
normal." http://www.advancedpilot.com/articles.php?action=article&articleid=1844

Obviously I never had enough flight time in proper old "heavy metal" aircraft,
which teach you a lot.

Read this topic online here: