Re: Europa-List: mono fuselage stability on trailer

Subject: Re: Europa-List: mono fuselage stability on trailer
From: Peter Timm <cptimm29@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 14:12:45

Fred,

I've made two hooks out of flat steel, with some padding glued to the inside of
them, that fit into the openings for the spars. They are then attached to the
trailer frame below with the usual ratchet set-up. For placing the aircraft on
the trailer both wings should remain attached for better balance. You will need
somebody to hold the wings level while you winch the aircraft onto the trailer
and adjust and attach the folding up ramp. This will hold the aircraft ,
while you support the left wing , raise the wing cradles etc.. , but , as you
have already determined, is not sufficient for road travel. After removing and
to the trailer frame, but it must be done. Since the fuselage is facing tail
forward, it helps to fabricate a padded pair of scissors to keep the rudder from
being exposed to some vicious side-loads . Do not put the elevators on the
trailer! I always carry them in the car.
Hope this helps.

Cheers , Peter

On 2015-07-30, at 8:19 AM, Fred Klein wrote:

> Gents,
>
> Ive often had concerns about the stability of the mono wheel fuselage when it
rides along the road on its bespoke trailer...(couldnt resist the opportunity
to use this very British utterance).

> When my mind imagines the moment arms and the mass, stabilized solely by the
capturing of the sides of the LG02 retraction arm within the sides of the
tilt-up
ramp, I fear that the fuselage tipping over, contacting the wings or worse,
is just a heartbeat away.

> I have similar concerns about the stability of the fuselage while on the
> trailer
during the attaching and removal of the wingsan operation Ive yet to attemptbut
the amount of the forces in play that Ive experienced when attaching the
wings when the fuselage sits on a cradle in the shop gives me pause.

> Can I hear from those w/ actual experience as to whether or not my fears are
unfounded?or is the fuselage stabilized by some additional means by which I am
unaware?