Re: Europa-List: Charging System

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Charging System
From: Bryan Nortje <bryannortje@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 21:44:39

Hi Alan

>From what you have said on your tests, you mentioned that the voltage across
>the
battery with engine running is 13.05 V. That is not right and it should be
upwards of over 14V. Is your regulator wired in with a warning light or buzzer
to let you know when the voltage is low? Your regulator could be faulty so check
all its connections and ensure that it is well earthed too. Your battery is
probably ok but with regulator issues, has slowly been getting to the point
where you asking it to work harder and its age will probably make it give up the
ghost easier than a fresh new one.

There were a couple second hand regulators up for sale at the Europa AGM last
saturday
so perhaps you could get one for a good price and swop it out.

Cheers
Bryan

Sent from my iPad

> On 16 Jul 2015, at 19:53, Alan Carter <alancarteresq@onetel.net> wrote:
>

> Hi All.
> Had a job starting the engine away from base, Starter turned the engine over
OK but there did not seem any spare electricity for electronic ignition system,
jump leaded it from another battery and away it went.
> The battery is a Odyssey 680 which give 680amps for 5 seconds dated 2008,
> installed
09 2009 so 5 or 6 years old.
> However bought a new one, put a volt meter on the new one, 12.87v
> tried it on the old one 12.95v ?????
> Anyway the new one seemed to turn the engine over quicker and it started
> straight
away .
> I know a cars Alternator output is 13.8v,engine running, but on the aircraft
using a volt meter on the battery, I was getting about 13.05v charging rate,
switched
on all the electrics and it dropped down to 12.6v