RE: Europa-List: Charging System

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Charging System
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@talktalk.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 20:42:22

Hi! Alan,
I think you will find the old battery has a shorted out plate.
If you can test it running you will probably find a charge of about 14.5
volts.
My original Oddessey  batteries were on about 10 years before I got scared
of expecting them to last longer but I had two wired in parallel to start
the Jabiru 6 cylinder. One had gone down and it soon pulled the other one
down.
I have just had a repeat event and the one I took off won't even start the
lawn mower on it's own immediately after a slow charge.  But the remaining
15 year old battery still fires up the lawn mower on it's own.
I's not the volts that starts the engine it is the ability to release a high
amperage over a short time.
Regards
Bob Harrison. G-PTAG
PS I got my replacement from Demon Tweeks.