RE: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas
From: Brian Davies <brian.davies@clara.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 08:56:13

Graeme,

The first four aircraft in the trials do not include a Europa. Once the
process has been agreed with the CAA, based on experience of the first four,
we will be trialling a further group of ten aircraft and then making it a
standard procedure.  In order to be part of the trials someone has to be
prepared to put their aircraft through a fairly expensive test flight
evaluation in order to determine that the flight characteristics of the
aircraft meet the requirements of EASA design code CS-23.  The owner also
has to be prepared to pay for a fair amount of simulated and actual IMC
flying in order to evaluate the suitability of the equipment fit without any
guarantee that they will get approval at the end of the process.  So far, no
Europa owner has come forward to take on this challenge.

Regards

Brian Davies