Europa-List: exhaust pipe clearance

Subject: Europa-List: exhaust pipe clearance
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 12:59:40

Gentlemenheres a situation and a question:

I have maintained 1.50 inches clearance between the inside surface of my lower
cowl and my engine exhaust pipes. I set this up w/ the assumption that this
would
be adequate considering that I have used a
high temperature flame retardant resin (HTR250FR, by Resin Services, Inc.) for
my custom cowls. It maintains a Flexural Modulus at 350 degrees F. of 6.25 x
36,000
(whatever that means).

Would anyone be willing to opine on the advisability of applying some
aluminized,
adhesive-backed, heat barrier, to reflect radiant heat away from the cowl
surface
and back towards the engine and exhaust?

(This so-called heat barrier is a composite consisting of aluminum foil on a
backing
material which looks like burlap to which is applied an adhesive good for
350 degrees F.)

(I have a total of 10 sq. in. of inlet and 14 sq. in. of exit area for air
circulation
within the cowl.)

(Obviously, this is not a 9xx Rotax installation.)

Comments and opinions appreciated in advance,

Fred