Re: Europa-List: Filling in ends of flap and aileron

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Filling in ends of flap and aileron
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 15:53:54
Hi Jeroen,

I did this with both the flaps and ailerons. It's very easy to do, adds
negligible weight and the finished result looks very professional.
I would recommend blue foam over ladling in the filler every time. Just
lay the prepared foam sheet (cut slightly thicker than the close-out to
be filled) on the floor, stand the flap end-on onto the foam and tap it
hard with the palm of your hand, this will leave an imprint of the
required profile in the foam, cut it out, fettle to fit, bond it in and
leave it.
The next day you just block down the foam to the laminate edge and lay
up as you described. You should get the whole lot done in a day.

m.v.g.

Nigel

On 07/06/2015 11:44, jglazener wrote:

> For aesthetic and aerodynamic reasons I want to fill in the end ribs of the
> flaps
and ailerons. The standard way to do that is cutting blue foam to size, making
flox corners and finishing with two layers of bid. Given that it is non
structural, would it not be easier and lighter just to fill it up with a stiff
epoxy / micro mix? Anybody done that, and might there be good reasons NOT to
do it?