Re: Europa-List: undercarriage retraction problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: undercarriage retraction problem
From: Keith Hickling <keithhickling@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 12:35:13

Rowland,
1) I can't remember why, but I also ended up with the wheel contacting the
brake master cylinder and a rudder cable. I had to move one of the rudder
cable guides slightly, and as jon suggested I had to file back the up gate
slightly so the swing arm did not retract quite so far. As jon said, that
meant having to readjust the flap mechanism.

2) The geometry is complex, but as jon said I think the amount of
precompression of the rubber block is critical to getting the correct amount
of overcentre with the gear down, so the measurement specified in the manual
is important. Ron Parigoris has written a couple of nice emails on the list
concerning the geometry and the fact that on some u/c frames one or both of
the stops were not the correct length and needed filing back a little to
achieve the overcentre position. I seem to recall that there have been a
couple of expensive u/c collapses associated with inadequate overcentre or
slight undercentre positioning. The down gate is not strong enough to hold
the gear down if it is not overcentred against the stops.

Good luck !

Regards,
Keith.