Re: Europa-List: Re: MAUW Increase

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: MAUW Increase
From: Timward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 09:47:51

While flying the 747-400 our MAUW was changed from 398 tones to 405 tones. I
asked
the Technical skipper what we had to do to qualify for that increase, difference
tyres, undercarriage oleos, tweak up the engine power etc. Answer: NOTHING,
except pay Boeing $1,000,000 per aircraft to be certified!

So be it.
Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch,  8052
New Zealand.

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221

> On 31/05/2015, at 12:31 am, jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

> Well my knee-jerk response is that whatever our American cousins are using for
the max.mass of their Europa fleet is what we should be allowed, assuming that
they haven't suffered mishaps due to overloading and aren't seeing evidence
of structural failures developing.
> An increase to 1420 lbs (645 kg) seems reasonable to me, for Europas with
> 100hp
or more powerful engines and/or VP propellers.
> In my former commercial career I saw one 19 pax seat aircraft given a 7.8%
> increase
of max.mass, without any structural strengthening. Just the performance
graphs were altered to show things like increased take-off distance and reject
area requirements and of course reduced single engine climb rates.