Europa-List: MAUW Increase

Subject: Europa-List: MAUW Increase
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 09:56:58
Steve,

FYI

I have just received a reply from John Tempest at the LAA regarding my
Callisto mod submission.
Reproduced below is his (predictably conservative) response to the MAUW
increase proposal.
I await with eager anticipation, his response to your mod!

Nigel

/Initial comments are (for discussion):///

/1.//The MTOW of 1370 lb for the Europa was based on a number of
analysis reports and load tests and was limited by a number of issues,
for example, required composite special factors, stresses on the wing
root pins, and no doubt other issues, and it is therefore going to
require a considerable amount of thought to give any additional weight
increase over this figure, if indeed it is possible at all. The use of
in-service experience to justify operating at weights higher that the
designers intentions is fraught with problems and at the moment this is
a major hurdle. I am not sure how remaining at 1370 lb will affect the
practicality of your aircraft./