Europa-List: Re: Balance weights

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Balance weights
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 14:52:30

When my Classic beauty was still a mono/tail/wheel, I did move the battery from
engine bay to rear fuselage immediately behind the flap cross-tube. This was
due to a misunderstanding about the datum point and a year or so later I moved
the battery forward again.

As has already been stated, moving the C of G aft makes a very noticeable
difference
to ground handling in a mono-wheel especially during the landing roll-out.
It felt decidedly more inclined to ground-loop and I was relieved to discover
my fundamental blunder in calculations, which allowed me to move the battery
forward again, a year later.

I believe that you should arrange things to have the C of G at the forward limit
with two heavies in the seats, nothing in the baggage bay and almost no fuel.
It really does improve the feeling of security, based on about 800 hours as
a mono with battery forward and about 50 hours with battery aft.

Read this topic online here: