Europa-List: Re: NG Tailplanes & Anti-Servo Trim Tabs

Subject: Europa-List: Re: NG Tailplanes & Anti-Servo Trim Tabs
From: Kelvin Weston <kelv@kdweston.biz>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:39:08

Hi Alan

Im not building the NG version but I will try and help with a few observations.

First, take a look in the NG build manual for the Anti Servo Trim Tab, figure 7.
You can see that the hinge is on the upper surface of both tailplane and tab
and also that the upper leading edge of the tab flange is only as wide as one
half of the hinge. In your photo it looks much wider than this and may need to
be trimmed. This will bring the tab closer to the rear closeout of the
tailplane.
Second, take a look at the XS build manual, Chap 4, figure 12. This shows the
whole
assembly upside down but shows that the bottom flange of the tailplane closeout
is trimmed back to allow the 30mm required movement.
I would avoid trimming the upper flange of the tailplane closeout ( the one the
hinge fits on) unless absolutely necessary  this flange comes assembled on the
NG tailplane and may have already been trimmed by the factory to the right
depth.
The important dimension to achieve is the clearance between the leading edge
nose
of the tab and the tailplane closeout vertical web as shown in figure 12. If
you have a slight clearance when the tab has moved the 30mm you should be ok.
I think this might take a slowly, slowly, little bit at a time approach to get
right. You could make a cardboard template of the root and tip end of the tab
and try them against the tailplane to see if you can get the required dimensions
if you trim the tab flange to the width of the hinge (or just over).
As stated in the previous posting, I would measure 10 times and be absolutely
sure
before trimming.
I will have a look at my tailplane and tab. It is foam of course but some
dimensions
and photos might give you some ideas.

--------
Regards