RE: Europa-List: Re: Water Coolant Sensor location?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Water Coolant Sensor location?
From: Gustavo Sessarego <gsessare@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 10:08:26
hello everybody=2C

somebody knows how is the procces to leave this list?

regards

> From: ward.t@xtra.co.nz
> Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Water Coolant Sensor location?
> Date: Sun=2C 22 Mar 2015 12:38:34 +1300
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
>

> Absolutely agree with you Remi.
> Tim
>
> Tim Ward
> 12 Waiwetu Street
> Fendalton=2C
> Christchurch=2C  8052
> New Zealand.
>
> ward.t@xtra.co.nz
>
> Ph 64 3 3515166
> Mob 0210640221
>

> > On 21/03/2015=2C at 10:31 pm=2C Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr> wr
ote:

r>

> > In spite of what Rotax say in their Manuals=2C I do not think that moni
toring coolant temperature is necessary. This is why:
> > 1. The coolant is heated by the cylinder heads. So obviously coolant te
mperature is always below cylinder head temperature.
> > 2. Conventional water based coolant boils at 120=B0C at the 1.2 bar pre
ssure=2C at sea level.
> > 3. Anytime the hottest cylinder CHT exceeds 120=B0C=2C there will be at
 least some local boiling.
> > 3.1. Then=2C if the engine is running at cruise RPM or more=2C the wate
r pump insures a good flow through the cylinder heads=2C the bubbles are pu
shed downstream to the cooler and condense=2C so there is no boiling over.

> > 3.2. If the engine is at idle on the ground=2C while you are waiting fo
r your take off clearance=2C then it will boil over. Moreover=2C as soon as
 CHT reaches 110=B0C=2C you must either shut down the engine or take off qu
ickly. If you wait a few more minutes and let the CHT reach 115=B0C=2C then
 the only choice is to take off immediately. Then the CHT will decrease ins
tantly. If you shut down at this point=2C then the heat transferred from th
e hot engine to the coolant will make it to exceed its boiling point and yo
u are facing a big mess.
> > So the only advantage of monitoring the coolant temperature would be to
 allow the CHT to slightly exceed 120=B0C=2C for example during a full powe
r climb in very hot conditions=2C while the coolant temp would stay slightl
y below 120=B0C. It seems to me this is a very marginal and risky advantage
.
> > So in my opinion=2C monitoring the CHT of the hottest cylinder and cons
idering the redline is 110=B0C on the ground and 120=B0C in flight is good
enough. This is especially true on the Europa where cooling is very good in
  flight but very marginal on the ground.