Re: Europa-List: Knowing the actual fuel level?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Knowing the actual fuel level?
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 15:49:45
Rick,

I had the original sight gage installed per Europa instructions.  It
only tells you when the fuel =93may=94 be getting low.  For a better
idea of the fuel usage, I installed the dual fuel flow option on my
Grand Rapids EIS4000.  When calibrated, it seems to be accurate to much
better than a half pint (about 250 cc) in a tank of gas.

When I replaced my leaking tank last year I removed the original, pretty
much useless, sight gage and replaced it with a sight gage that runs
---From the bottom of the tank, main side, up between the seats, near the
pilot:

It is also back lit with a string of 12v lEDs.  The remainder of the 15
ft (5 meter) string is run around the inside of the tunnel for inside
work illumination.  It=92s not shown in the picture but there is a
switch/dimmer for the lighting.  I used the ties to mark calibration
points: 06 gal @ bottom of lower P-clip; 07 gal, top of lower P-clip; 08
gal @ first white tie; 09 gal @ 2nd white tie, 10 gal @ 1st black tie;
11 gal @ white tie; 12 gal @ white tie; 13 gal @ white tie; 14 gal @
white tie; 15 gal @ 2nd black tie; 19 gal @ top of upper P-clip; 20 gal
@ top of gage.  You can see that in this picture the tank is holding 15
gal.

In the 25 hrs or so I have flown since replacing the tank, this gage has
proven to be almost as accurate as the totalizer down to where the gage
disappears.  When the fuel disappears in the gage you are close to a
mandatory switch to reserve and time to find a place to land if you are
not already there.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com