Re: Europa-List: Re: Tail wheel fairing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Tail wheel fairing
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:04:04

> On Jan 29, 2015, at 12:32 AM, Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
wrote:

> I have since removed the fairing as it has been damaged very quickly
by projection of stones when flying from dirt strips. No measurable
effect on cruise performances.

Thanks Remi=85it sounds like your experience is a common one=85perhaps
the best use of the tail wheel fairing is to keep it in a pouch in the
baggage area and install it when being judged at an airshow or for
picture-taking.

Not surprising that you=92ve found it to have =93no measurable effect on
cruise performance=94=85on an airframe as sleek and slick as the Europa,
I suspect that only major improvements such as Nigel Graham=92s
marvelous cowling will show measurable effects at cruise.

On the other hand, in the spirit of the definition of an airplane as
=9320,000 compromises flying in close formation=94, perhaps every little
bit helps.

Fred

PS: Thanks to all for responses to my post on this topic.