Re: Europa-List: Classic exhaust tubes

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Classic exhaust tubes
From: Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 08:27:18

Hi Jonathan

No spare bits but a similar problem.

I originally had a strap round the rear silencer box supported off the
engine frame.  It did not seem to help as the original Europa mild steel
front stub cracked. I replaced the whole system with a second hand
stainless one I bought from Nigel Charles after he converted his
aeroplane to XS front end.  That was one of the early CTK Engineering
products.  All four of the flanges cracked.  The quality of the welding
seemed poor.  CTK have since made me a new set of 4 stubs, look to be
much better quality.  They have been on for about 150 hours and so far ok.

Regards

Pete
G-RMAC Claasic #109

On 10/01/15 03:03, jonathanmilbank wrote:

> Does anyone in the UK have good condition exhaust tubes, stainless or mild
> steel,
which they'd be willing to part with? My aircraft is UK kit #47, completed
in July '97 and has the original design of double silencers mated together at
right angles.

> I'm getting annoyed by the number of times that mine have cracked at all the
flanges attaching to the exhaust ports, albeit at different times. Is there a
good fix for this? Someone once wrote that mild is less prone to cracking than
stainless. And what about extra suspension support for the silencers?