Re: Europa-List: W26 aft wing socket query

Subject: Re: Europa-List: W26 aft wing socket query
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 10:32:59

Roland I would be inclined to take a narrow hacksaw blade and simply saw
through immediately under the W26. You can then reorientate it and bond
it on again. Does your inspector not have strong views on this? Regards,
David

On 2014-12-22 21:53, Rowland Carson wrote:

> I was so pleased that on Friday I'd managed to complete the bonding of the
> wing
pin sockets onto the fuselage sides - I had used high-power resistors clamped
to each socket and fed from bench power supplies to bring the temperature of
the metal parts up to 50C so that the Redux cured in 4 hours instead of 5 days,
thus avoiding the need to find a warm and safe place to leave the entire
aeroplane
assembled for a week.

> However, when I came to drill the bolt holes through the fuselage hard-points
today, I find that despite marking orientations and making several checks, I
have managed to bond on the port W26 assembly upside-down - that is, with the
small (3/16") bolt hole at the top instead of the bottom.

> Racking my brains about how to recover from this stupid mistake, I came up
> with
3 options.

> (1) Leave it as it is and use the hole at the top. I pretty soon realised this
is no good, as the head of the bolt would foul the head of the pip-pin.

> (2) De-bond the socket with large amounts of heat and do the whole alignment
process again, including re-making the shim. This does not appeal for lots of
reasons!

> (3) Drill a new 3/16" hole at the bottom of the W26 flange, taking care to
> position
it correctly.

> At the moment I can't see any down-side to option 3; can anyone offer any
> comments
one way or the other?

> in friendship
>
> Rowland
>
> | Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
> | <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk [1]
> | Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson
> | pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/rowlandcarson [2]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk