Europa-List: firewall mountings and penetrations

Subject: Europa-List: firewall mountings and penetrations
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 20:12:31

Im thinking about where some of the things that are mounted on or penetrate the
firewall would be best located. Obviously there are some things like the
throttle
and choke cables that have to go through in a certain area to maintain a
smooth line, but other things seem to have no specific constraints, just a lot
of interdependencies.

For instance, Id like to settle on a position for mounting the forest of tabs
(from
B&C Specialty) that Im using for all ground connexions (so I know how long
the wires to it, including service loops, should be). However, I dont want to
drill holes for that and then find its going to be obstructed by the battery
or get in the way of the nicest line for the hose from the vacuum pump.
(Thinking
again about the battery, I seem to recall that most folk mount them on top
of the starboard footwell, because theres nothing likely to be coming through
the firewall above the sandwich shelf - Bobs photo mentioned below supports
this observation.)

Then there are all the other wires that need to penetrate the firewall - I
reckon
most will be in a big bunch to minimise the number of holes, although custom
and practice seems to indicate that the mag leads should be well-segregated
---From all others. What about finding good airflow in which to mount the
regulator?
Is there an ideal place for the ammeter shunt? The fuel supply & return lines
will be down at tunnel level, I guess.

What might help me is to see pictures of other folks (Rotax 912/912S) firewall
layouts, preferably in a picture taken from the engine side. Ive not seen many
Europas sufficiently undressed to take this sort of picture myself. Ive had a
quick look through the select few pictures on the Matronics Europa picture
archive
and have only seen one Rotax firewall picture, from Bob Harrison.

Would anyone care to give me links to this sort of picture of their own machine,
please?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

in friendship

Rowland