Re: Europa-List: Re: Fitting a 100HP to Classic

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Fitting a 100HP to Classic
From: Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 12:01:06

Rotax has a description of this. What I understand is that the new
flywheel has the timing lobes changed so when STARTER ENGAGES ignition
takes place a few degrees AFTER TDC, not before, as with the old flywheel.
I have both a new set of Rotax soft start CDI modules and the original CDI
units. Never tried either with the old flywheel as I was advised by Rotax
that mounting a new flywheel would be far be the most effective and cost
effective solution. So, with the old CDI I noticed it starts a slight bit
rougher but not much. With the new soft start CDI its quite smooth. I
think the biggest difference, though, was to go for the lithium battery.
Not only saving 12 lbs up front on the foot well but much more consistent
and higher voltage during cranking stage. The smaller starter cranks like
crazy. Worked for me, even in the Canadian winter last year.
I think the flywheel makes sense and exchange is about 1 hour when the
engine is out.
Christoph