Fwd: Re: Europa-List: OAT probe location

Subject: Fwd: Re: Europa-List: OAT probe location
From: amimcfadyean@talktalk.net
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 11:39:47
My temperature probe is installed=C2-under the roof skin, betw
een the two doors. It doesn't stick out=C2- but is bonded
to the underside of the outer glassfibre skin, using aluminium
 filings mixed with epoxy.=0AThis was on purpose to be ab
le to measure skin temperature while parked in the sun. But
it seems also to read air temperature correctly when in flig
ht, as calibrated=C2-using a thermocouple to=C2-compare with=C2-
the temperature of air coming through the NACA vents.=0A=C2-
=0ADuncan McF.=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A-----Original Message-----
=0AFrom: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>=0ATo: europa-list@matroni
cs.com=0ASent: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 15:24=0ASubject: Re: Europa-L
ist: OAT probe location=0A=0A--> Europa-List message posted
 by: "Bud Yerly" <budyerly@msn.com>=C2-=0A=C2-=0AFred,=C2
-=0AI have seen a number of installations and tried a f
ew myself.=C2-=0A=C2-=0AFlap area as you have heard work
s well.=C2-=0AJust aft of the rear wing attach (good airf
low through the pip pin hole I guess).=C2-=0AAt the fairi
ng for the stabilator just forward of the metal bracket TP12
. If centered it doesn't interfere with the stab.=C2-=0AIn
the tail post lower end, in a trigear with the bottom of
the rudder cut off as per the manual.=C2-=0AUnder the pas
senger seat near the wing fillet out in the stream. (Retrofi
t idea it put the magnatometer and OAT together under the
pax seat. Quick and easy worked great. On autopilots installed
 though.)=C2-=0AIn a NACA duct coming into the cockpit. T
he duct was equipped with a plenum off the NACA to allow
ball type inlet control, and this gave room for the probe.=C2
-=0AIn a tail fin mounted NACA duct which funneled air
up to the cockpit.=C2-=0AIn the 914 engine inlet metal du
ct work just forward of the air filter.=C2-=0A=C2- Note
that his is subject to the heated duct and must be insulat
ed from that heat transfer. Terrible on the ground between s
orties.=C2-=0AIn the 914 duct on the vertical metal below
the oil tank. (Ran high all the time.)=C2-=0AIn the 912
XS Airbox. Just under the filter in the fiberglass box, it
is not bad but is just a bit warmer than outside air, be
tter if attached just in the free air coming into the filt
er on the top of the airbox where it can sense the NACA
airflow coming into the engine...=C2-=0A=C2- Note, same pro
blem on the ground above.=C2-=0AIn the metal air inlet fa
ce just inside the fiberglass cowl on the XS.=C2-=0A=C2-
Note, same problem on the ground as above. Lots of bugs to
o.=C2-=0AIn a custom made flap bracket cover on the starb
oard side (a modified teardrop, with a 1/4 inch hole dedicat
ed to allow air to impact the probe and go out through a
 vent in the rear of the teardrop.) Nicely done. Supposedly
worked and I can't see why not.=C2-=0A=C2-=0AThe above
positions all worked in-flight OK.=C2-=0A=C2-=0ALessons lear
ned:=C2-=0AAnything in the tail meant more wire, voltage dr
op and weight.=C2-=0AAnything in the engine, meant insulation
 from heat.=C2-=0AAnything on the outside of the skin mea
nt hitting it when washing. Not unlike civil air probes. The
y just stick it out the side of the aircraft where conveni
ent.=C2-=0AAnything on the gaps in the flight controls mean
t extreme care to assure no interference.=C2-=0A=C2-=0ANot
 so well working:=C2-=0AMounted on top of the aircraft ne
ar the fuel vents in a mono. The sun heated it and it
was always high in the summer and just OK in winter.=C2-
=0AIn the port wing near the end of the flap in a Classi
c. Hot exhaust must collect under the wing or something. Plu
s it was another connector to disconnect. I had to move th
is clients probe to the starboard side.=C2-=0AIn the cockpi
t tunnel for the mono forward of the gear just below the
panel. Seems hot air coming in from the leaky firewall was
the culprit. Moved to belly.=C2-=0A=C2-=0AGood luck Fred.=C2
-=0ARegards,=C2-=0ABud=C2-=0A=C2-=0A=C2-=0A------------
--------------------------------------=C2-=0AFrom: "Fred Klein" <f
klein@orcasonline.com>=C2-=0ASent: Saturday, October 04, 2014
5:13 PM=C2-=0ATo: <europa-list@matronics.com>=C2-=0ASubject:
 Europa-List: OAT probe location=C2-=0A=C2-=0A> -->
Europa-List message posted by: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com
>=C2-=0A>=C2-=0A> All,=C2-=0A>=C2-=0A> I
offer half my kingdom to anyone who will give me a proven
location for > an OAT thermocouple which is part of my
=9Caftermarket=9D EMS.=C2-=0A>=C2-=0A> with ap
preciation,=C2-=0A>=C2-=0A> Fred=C2-=0A>=C2-=0A&g
 Use the Matronics List Features Navigator to browse=C2-=0A
======C2-=0A=C2-=0A=C2-=0A=0A