Re: Europa-List: Minimum CHT

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Minimum CHT
From: Thomas Scherer <thomas@scherer.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 12:21:43

Dear Richard,

thank you for renewinging this question. N81EU has now 1.ooo hrs on the
Hobbs and with a modified cooling system. She has flown between the
arctic and the Sahara with sometimes vy low Oil / CHT temps. I do not
see any damage to the engine (e.g. compression), but will like to hear
more input on this.

greetings from the other side of Africa

<Thomas, N81EU>

Am 10/4/2014 11:40 AM, schrieb Richard Lamprey:

> This subject has come up before, but still no clear answer...  minimum CHT.
The other day, cruising at 9500' over the Great Rift Valley in Kenya, in Europa
5Y-LRY (Classic, Mono, 912 UL, 15 years old, 650 hours), the CHT was down at
55 C.  I have very efficient radiators made by Docking Engineering at
Silverstone,
but never saw the coolant at this low temp.  I use to blank off from time
to time, but then in the hot desert areas it goes up a bit higher, eg 110 C,
so I have to cater for all Kenya  conditions.  At 55 C it ran sweetly.  Rotax
info tells me that the normal is 75 C to 110 C.  Is any damage done at lower
temps?