Europa-List: Door Strut Mod

Subject: Europa-List: Door Strut Mod
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:04:33
Hello all, Regarding the repositioning of the door strut it was I that d
eveloped the modification and posted it to the forum back in 2001.  The
mod that Bud posted in his email is essentially what I developed and was
 subsequently picked up by Europa as Mod 66, although I did not find it
necessary to reinforce the door with additional plies of glass.  Thirtee
n years or so later the doors still look as good as the day I fitted the
m. The mod came to being because I noted that on Kim Prout's plane, as w
ell as a couple of others, that the corner of the door had lifted and wa
s proud of the fuselage which looked rather unsightly.  This is due to t
he geometry and pressure of the gas strut as we have all come to realize
.  However, I noted that by moving the mounting points around one could
take advantage of the strength of the curvature of the door and minimize
 deformation.  Simple, but effective.   Anyway, I just had to jump in an
d correct the misinformation regarding the origin of the mod.  Interesti
ngly, while at Oshkosh this year another building noted that I had incor
porated Mod 66, at which point I commented that it was the other way aro
und. :)  Kind regards,Erich TrombleyN28ET Classic Mono 914
The #1 Worst Carb Ever?
Click to Learn #1 Carb that Kills Your Blood Sugar &#40;Don&#39;t Eat Th
is!&#41;
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/542ac6d411f0746d34535st03vuc