Re: Europa-List: New Europa Owner

Subject: Re: Europa-List: New Europa Owner
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 17:44:35
Rick,
Happy to see you are resurecting an older Europa.

I have done it a couple times now and I find that it is best to follow
the advise of guys like Graham, Neil and David.  The bird will need a
nose to tail going over.  Do not haste to get airborne with the engine
touchup only.  A good going over will probably yield little structural
problems (small delams and the like) but the time spent on a proper
condition inspection, then a proper 1st flight preflight checklist of at
least Annex E of the manual, and a complete Rotax Annex A (install and
commissioning check) combined with your inspectors keen eye will yield a
great flying and dependable airplane.

We have a real problem in the States with 2nd owners rushing to buy and
fly.  Often times the poor bird ends up languishing at an airport in
neglect because it was sold AS IS with a tire kick annual inspection and
only a few hours on it, and the new owner ends up with a laundry list of
things to fix or just never fixes it at all and the plane becomes a
burden.  We look hard at the logbooks, routine maintenance and the build
manual for clues.  Clean and well done logs, documented engine
commissioning, test runs and flight temps, performance notes, proper wt.
and balance, as well as a documented fly-off with stall/Vn speeds
annotated and descriptions raises our confidence. At least in the UK you
have competent inspectors and proper inspection procedures to help new
owners.

Congratulations.

Bud Yerly
US Dealer