Re: Europa-List: Performance chart Europa CLASSIC C-GPEL

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Performance chart Europa CLASSIC C-GPEL
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 15:44:33

Christopher, Although not directly comparable, you may be
interested in the following figures for my XS mono G-XSDJ
with 914, Woodcomp SR3000/3/W, Smart controller and speed
kit at 90% MAUW and 2000 ft unless stated otherwise:
Max speed at 100% power (ie not using the extra 15%
available for 5 mins only) TAS 156kts (164 at 6500ft)
Fuel flow:
            100kts  12 l/hr
            110       13
            120        14
            130        19
            140        23
      At 10,000ft 150kts TAS (129kts IAS)   21 l/hr
These figures came from a comparison I did between the low
twist Sr2000 prop and the high twist SR 3000W prop, which
showed the latter gave appreciably better performance with
max speed being 4kts higher at various altitudes, fuel
flow being on average 0.6 l/hr better, climb rate improved
and cooling problems transformed. The increased top speed
according to CAFE calculations was the equivalent of
having an extra 4 hp!
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ