RE: Europa-List: PV 50 Prop.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: PV 50 Prop.
From: Peter Jeffers <pjeffers@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:50:25

Hi,
Arplast is the firm that makes the PV 50 prop.  They are French and are not
good at communicating with non French speakers.  To my knowledge there is no
MM or life recommendations.
I have operated a PV50 for about 1500hrs now over a period of about 15 years
and can report the following problems I have had or come across during that
period.
1  Using the original manual in flight pitch controller (yours maybe this
type or either a Smart controller or Arplast electronic auto controller)
The former suffers from re-chargeable battery pack failure resulting in
failure to run fine. The other two seem to work OK but if used in auto all
the time will b----ger the pitch change motor in about 200 to 300 hrs. When
used in auto only for take off and landing the motor will have a
considerably longer life.
Having a spare motor is a good idea as they are usually on 6 week lead time
---From France. They also cost much money, 200 at last purchase. (It is
possible to manually adjust the prop to a compromise pitch if you get stuck
with the pitch change inoperative.
2  The prop hub suffers from moisture corrosion which manifests itself as
corrosion of the blade pitch change bearings.
I dismantle clean and re lubricate the hub on an annual basis to help
alleviate this problem. I use a water proof grease for this purpose.  Best
to obtain from marine outlets and normally recommended for submersible
components of boat prop shafts. If the bearings do get corroded they will
need replacement. The bearings are standard and easily obtained but fitting
them is a different matter all together, as a jig is required to refit the
pitch drive dogs.
3  The crappy little pitch limit switches sometimes fall apart. They can be
obtained from Maplin.
4  There is one AD issued by the LAA re fine pitch limit stop.  Without this
mod and with certain electrical failures the prop can run to zero pitch in
flight.  Not good.  Re this last mod I have come across at least one
instance where the mod has been removed by Arplast during their overhauling
process.
5  Being as no special protection is provided for L/E's of the blades they
can become quite badly damaged by stones.  Limited repair work can be
achieved by the use of ARALDITE RAPID ie the ordinary stuff you can buy for
domestic purposes  (NOT ARALDITE 320 the Blue Stuff supplied by Europa
Aircraft).
Apart from the above the prop works quite well for the price. It is also the
lightest VP on the market hence a bit fragile. I have come across one
cracked hub caused probably by prop strike that did not even brake a blade.

Pete Jeffers LAA Insp. Rep