Re: Europa-List: 914 / Woodcomp / fuel consumption ... ??

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 / Woodcomp / fuel consumption ... ??
From: Gert Dalgaard Sørensen <stabelvej9@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 06:51:21
Hi Ivan - and others

Two years ago I had opportunity to purchase a brand new 914, and a
Woodcomp at a very reasonably price.
Changed engine last summer after 700 hours og trouble free flying with
the old constellation.
With the old set-up  - 914/Warp Drive  -  i did 105 knots at 4600 rpm,
burning 16.5 ltrs./hr.
At that power setting my old engine/prop really sounded like it could
run for a thousand year - must be the "sweet spot", Ivan  :)

My new engine and prop. really sounds and feel OK at 4200 rpm / 30", and
that is giving me exactly 120 knots IAS.
But again - this prop. is a completely new world for me ...
What power-setting are others aiming for at cruise with a 914 and
adjustable prop?
And what fuel-flow do you get?

Regards
Gert

Den 08/09/2014 kl. 18.22 skrev Ivan Shaw <ivanshaw@btinternet.com>:

> Gert,
> I would not run 4200rpm and 30=94=85.sounds a bit over square to me.
> Best way to get your fuel burn info is by test on =91your=92
particular aircraft. Then arrive at a nice economy cruise speed/fuel
burn and a regular cruise speed.
> Remember you want to cruise your Europa =91on the step=92 AOA wise and
this will vary with aircraft weight and differing aircraft. But at MTOW
you want to be going 120kts indicated minimum to be nicely in the
groove.
> Most aircraft have a =91sweet spot=92 speed wise when the aircraft
just =91feels=92 right!! Find the sweet spot for YOUR aircraft and
cruise there=85.why would you do any other?!!